Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 10 142 posts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
*1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:09 pm Offline
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:34 pm635Illinois, USA
When I was new to the fandom in 2006, the main thing on my mind in every fanfic was the McCormick family. I laid out all my plans with them and they were integral characters - Stuart, Carol, Kevin, Kenny and Karen. They weren't the perfect family but godammit they were my muses. I think I was only the third or fourth author to even utilize Karen, and the first to use her name in a fanfic. The writing was sh*tty at this point but godammit, I'm still proud of those fics no matter how bad they were.

Karen was groomed like an original character to me: a sweet little girl with mischievous tendencies who tried to be independent but always needed her brothers watching over her. But beneath that exterior, she was just a sweet little girl. Her other family members were given personalities based on the show but still, Karen was like my own creation. It sure felt like it, anyway.

This was five years ago, in November 2006.

And in the past week, I have been vindicated beyond belief.

First, on a personal note, I pleased my favorite author of all-time with a birthday fic and in three days wrote a colossal tribute and love letter to my favorite fanfics of all-time. And now tonight, we got the seasonal Kenny episode, which did one major thing - Karen McCormick became a legitimate character. She had the exact voice I'd envisioned, and a personality that didn't quite match but wasn't far from the mark. I wasn't too concerned but then...

"Get back to bed, Karen."

You have no idea how f*cking magical those words feel to me.

There was an old original fan character back in the first couple seasons or so named Estella Havisham, a girl for Pip based on the Great Expectations character. And then the episode "Pip" came out and that fankid became more than a fankid, a sort of ascended fankid in a way. That's how I feel right now.

No, I didn't create Karen. She doesn't belong to me. She belongs to Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I know goddamn well they never read any of my fanfics, don't know who the hell I am, and probably have no idea what the BFD is to me. And yet, it still feels, deep down, it just feels a little like, you know, I made a difference. I matter. A small part of me feels like, you know, I actually had a small influence on the show I've loved for years. It's a f*ckin' magical feeling.

There's only one thing in today's episode that genuinely disappointed me and hurt my headcanons for the family. While I'm well aware of the physical abuse between the parents, I find it extraordinarily disappointing to find that the kids endured physical abuse as well.
I don't have any petty self-centered sh*t to link to right now :o
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:11 pm Offline
Sun May 29, 2011 7:40 pm4
you mean 5 more years :D
triplemultiplex wrote:

Four more years! Four more years! Seriously, we get four more years!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:21 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
jenhug12kennylover wrote:
you mean 5 more years :D
triplemultiplex wrote:

Four more years! Four more years! Seriously, we get four more years!

:oops: :oops:
I fail 1st grade math.

Although technically, we do get 4 more seasons... and then another one.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 pm Offline
Wed Dec 31, 1969 5:00 pm3
JVM wrote:
When I was new to the fandom in 2006, the main thing on my mind in every fanfic was the McCormick family. I laid out all my plans with them and they were integral characters - Stuart, Carol, Kevin, Kenny and Karen. They weren't the perfect family but godammit they were my muses. I think I was only the third or fourth author to even utilize Karen, and the first to use her name in a fanfic. The writing was sh*tty at this point but godammit, I'm still proud of those fics no matter how bad they were.

Karen was groomed like an original character to me: a sweet little girl with mischievous tendencies who tried to be independent but always needed her brothers watching over her. But beneath that exterior, she was just a sweet little girl. Her other family members were given personalities based on the show but still, Karen was like my own creation. It sure felt like it, anyway.

First, on a personal note, I pleased my favorite author of all-time with a birthday fic and in three days wrote a colossal tribute and love letter to my favorite fanfics of all-time. And now tonight, we got the seasonal Kenny episode, which did one major thing - Karen McCormick became a legitimate character. She had the exact voice I'd envisioned, and a personality that didn't quite match but wasn't far from the mark. I wasn't too concerned but then...

There was an old original fan character back in the first couple seasons or so named Estella Havisham, a girl for Pip based on the Great Expectations character. And then the episode "Pip" came out and that fankid became more than a fankid, a sort of ascended fankid in a way. That's how I feel right now.

No, I didn't create Karen. She doesn't belong to me. She belongs to Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I know goddamn well they never read any of my fanfics, don't know who the hell I am, and probably have no idea what the BFD is to me. And yet, it still feels, deep down, it just feels a little like, you know, I made a difference. I matter. A small part of me feels like, you know, I actually had a small influence on the show I've loved for years. It's a f*ckin' magical feeling.

There's only one thing in today's episode that genuinely disappointed me and hurt my headcanons for the family. While I'm well aware of the physical abuse between the parents, I find it extraordinarily disappointing to find that the kids endured physical abuse as well.

Dude, with a comment like that it makes me wonder if you worked for Penn State.
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 pm Offline
Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:42 am15
Cainman wrote:
JVM wrote:

Dude, with a comment like that it makes me wonder if you worked for Penn State.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. We can't know for sure.
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 pm Offline
Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:47 pm1563Eating a Ditka-Shaped Waffle with Joe Montana and Punxatawney Paulomalu
I'm white trash and I'm in trouble! 8.9/10 My favorite element of the episode was Karen and Kenny's care for her. Loved the Penn State jokes too.
Niels0827 wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/ ... 897901.png
Seriously, nobody likes you. Fuck off.
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:55 pm Offline
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 am1219Bedford (U.K)
What a great epiosde to end whats been a excellent season its nice to see more of kennys family hope we see more of them in the future. I found the scenes with Kenny protecting Karen really sweet. Cartman ripping on that poor kid in the new school typical cartman really so glad he had to say "i`m white trash".
I would have liked Kenny to be the hero at the end and save the kids as Mysterion but how it all ended was cool,and that was some ending :lol: :lol: the best season final since The List imo.

Shame that this 7 run of episodes have come to an end but i have really liked 15b.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 10:19 pm Offline
  • YIM
Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:22 pm72Chicago, Il
:shock: :shock: :shock: what... the... f*ck!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hadn't laughed that hard in a long time!! was actually tearing up at the awesome Mysterion moments... then the END!!! :zombiekenny: :zombiekenny: simply amazing finale!
now that's what i call a stickey situation!!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 10:25 pm Offline
Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:38 pm79Wisconsin
That was. By far. the best episode this run. Happy Karen talked, Happy mysterion appeared, he really is so sweet. Mysterion and Kenny have just been upgraded to tying with kyle for me. I loved the agnostic jokes. It was great, the jokes make me laugh soooo much. Cartman pissed me off, what he did to jacob was terrible, though it's totally him. I dunno.

I kind of lked the penn state jokes. HA. and when mysterion defends karen, it is the sweetest thing ever, man he can kick arse!! I dont care what you guys say, i liked this episode, but man, the ending. He will come back, right? i mean he cant die forrealz.

Oh and kyle was genious.

And yes, there are flaws in the foster care system
"Sometimes, love is hard. But you cant just run away from it. When you start to have somethin special you have to work at it.Even though it might seem that the world is against you,u still have to hold on with both hands! "-Eric Cartman
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 pm Offline
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm937
I literally cheered when Mysterion dropped into frame. That was epic and made of win!
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 10:34 pm Offline
Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:52 pm8921Shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
They pulled out all the stops for this Kenny ep, and I'm glad they did!

I, among others, figured on a "death" for him, but for him to appear as Mysterion again is a nice touch!

The guy and his Penn State jokes were definitely done to death, but there were some gems in the bunch.

Great job by the SP crew! The season wraps up on a high note, 10/10!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 pm Offline
Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:42 am4
This replaced Last of the Meeheecans as my favourite episode this run. Not only did it have everything a Kenny fan like me was looking in an episode, it was a legitimate social commentary on the Foster system! Everything I've been wanting to happen this run!

Definitely one of my favourites! By far the best part was whenever Mysterion made an entrance. It really developed his character, he has a protective older brother attitude!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 10:53 pm Offline
Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:46 pm143Park County Police Station
This episode almost felt like it was written for this forum--Kenny-centric, Karen, Mysterion, Kenny death, the McCormicks' meth lab, and an unhappy ending for Eric. :wink: Only problem: still no official name for Mrs. McCormick! (Or did Stuart say something at the beginning?)

But still, great episode. Every aspect of it. Especially Dr Pepper. And was that a reference to "The Giant Claw" at the end? Didn't have the infamous face, so probably not. (EDIT: Ah, it was the giant reptilian bird! Though birds are technically reptiles. Sorta. :P)
Ex1lepr0 wrote:
mo303564 wrote:
...about damn time they made agnostic jokes. Now if only they can turn on the Athiests! :twisted:

Remember "Go God Go"?
Not to mention "Red Hot Catholic Love," where they basically implied that atheists spew a bunch of crap.

Anyway, how I'd rank 15B:
1. The Last of the Meheecans
2. 1%
3. The Poor Kid
4. Ass Burgers
5. Broadway Musical Bro Down
6. Bass to Mouth
7. A History Channel Thanksgiving

But they were all great! Possibly my favorite run since 9B. It was nice how they good made use of all 6 main characters in this run.

Oh and am I the only person who thought of this throughout the whole episode?
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
Last edited by Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 11:02 pm Offline
Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 am563
Damn, that dirty birdy is making me wonder if Kenny actually tastes like chicken or more like a platypus. Bad thoughts! Bad thoughts!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 16, 2011 11:22 pm Offline
Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:16 pm1
can someone please tell me when they'll air this episode again? basic cable with no channel guide sucks!

Sort by  
Page 1 of 10 142 posts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next